Thursday 18 October 2012

Shit happens

A sunny afternoon in late September, blissfully driving home from work listening to a concert of French Renaissance music on Classic FM, and then BANG! a guy on a motorbike runs into the back of me while I am stopped in a left turn filter lane waiting for oncoming traffic to clear.

The incident was dramatic with the guy and his bike bouncing off my care and sliding around the road to end up in front of me. Fortunately I had the handbrake on otherwise I could have rolled onto him.

As it was he was unscathed but shaken, his bike was damaged but I got it off the road, exchanged details, lent him my phone to call home (he'd broken his in the crash) and stayed with him and talking to him to make sure he was OK.

Fine. New tail light, New fender fairing and his insurance said 'no contest' and paid up.

Fast forward to last Tuesday. Same intersection. Same filter lane. A lady in a Toyota goes and does the exact same thing - whacks into the back of my car. This time its more serious - new tailgate, whole new fender assembly (fortunately I hadn't had the reapairs for the first rear-ender done yet - that was going to be this Monday) and a bit of other work. Probably off the road for ten days.

This time a guy in a passing tow truck stopped. Probably just as well as while the back of my car was a bit of a mess, the other car was considerably more damaged and probably not drivable.

As it is I got off lightly. Mild case of whiplash. While the insurance companies have to fight it out over splitting the bill it's clearly 'no contest' meaning it costs me nothing on my policy or no claims bonus.

Strangely enough I'm not driving home that way any more ...

No comments:

Post a Comment