Friday 5 July 2024

That was the week that wasn't

 Last weekend was a washout.

Due to my catching what I'll call flu, even though I've no real idea what it was, except it wasn't covid, the weekend was spent coughing, spluttering and feeling feverish and sorry for myself.

However, paracetamol and whisky, both in small quantities, worked their magic and by Wednesday I was well enough to drive down to Dow's where I've been asked to put together some additional documentation to supplement my survey data. (My data is being processed  with openRefine and the like and over half of it has already been ingested into the Trust's asset management system.)

I'd long since given back my key to the building and I needed to confirm that the alarm code and wifi password were still the same as last year when I finished up, and check if any of the access procedures had changed.

That made for a pleasant trip and a chat.

And then today I had my morning session with the Athenaeum. I'd been working on accessioning t-shirts and baseball caps but hadn't quite finished the task before I went sick.

However it's not all been kleenex and archiving - I successfully talked myself out of buying an Olympus XA-1 film camera - there's always the temptation to buy a new bit of retro kit that will finally break the logjam and get me playing with film again, but I realised that I already have more than enough in the way of film camera and a well thought out retro photography kit, and that the real problem was in my head and not likely to be solved by another fifty year old retro device.

The other amusing thing that happened was that I was helping J tidy and reorganise her desk and we found the laptop I bought her second hand as an emergency replacement at the start of the pandemic when her previous laptop died sitting plugged in under a pile of files.

I logged in and everything was working despite it having sat idle for close on three years.

I'm now in quandary as to what to do with it - normally I'd install Linux and use it as a project machine, but truth be told I've enough Linux machines, just as I've enough Windows machines. At a pinch I could use it in place of my old Thinkpad that runs Kubuntu and still has a spinning disk inside of it ...

No comments:

Post a Comment